The Mane

Power outage fails to slow down The Master’s University

Professor Jennifer O’Shea’s (pictured right) Introduction to Mass Communication class went outside for instruction during the power outage. Photo by Michael Brown

Michael Brown, News Editor

On the afternoon of Tuesday, April 11, Santa Clarita law enforcement officials received reports of a fallen power line in the Placerita Canyon neighborhood. A loose wire came down at the 22000 block of Placeritos Canyon Blvd, just down the street from the Northern Campus of The Master’s University.

Southern California Edison officials begin removing the power line from the car. Photo by Michael Brown

A woman in a red Ford Mustang was reportedly driving down the road when the wire fell and punctured her car roof, according to officials and witnesses on scene. The women was not physically harmed in the incident.

Approximately 1,286 residents were reportedly affected by the outage, according to Southern California Edison officials.

The power outage also cut the power to TMU. Phones were the only functioning electronics on campus, according to university officials.

The power outage plunged the classrooms into darkness. Photo by Bethany Reeves.

However, the outage did little to slow down TMU students. In spite of the lack of power, several classes still met, students still flocked to the library to finish school work, and the cafeteria remained open for the entirety of lunch.

“For the most part, the wind didn’t really affect my day,” said Austin Oliver, a junior history major at TMU. “It was still light out, so I was still able to work. The biggest inconvenience was not having internet to turn in my assignments.”

The power came back on at TMU less than three hours after it initially went out, although employees from Southern California Edison worked into the next morning in order to fully repair the damage done to the power line.

The Student News Site of The Master's University