The Mane

What’s in the Fridge? ASB President opens the door

Bethany Reeves, Editor

Lower Caf was loud at 1 p.m. on Monday. The tail-end of the lunch crowd was passing through, and dozens of students were laughing, eating, and talking at booths and tables.

Wearing a Nike jacket zipped all the way up, Caleb Friginal sat down in a leather armchair by the fireplace. Even before I asked my first question, he was smiling.

Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Outside of ASB, just as a person?

This is my senior year. I’m a communications major. I’m from Colorado.

I think my biggest hobby, outside of school and church and those kind of things, would be sports. I grew up here in California, actually, and I was always a huge fan of the Lakers and the Dodgers and all the L.A. sports teams. And I think coming to Master’s and living in L.A. for the last three or four years has made it even bigger. I was already a pretty big sports fan, but it’s been fun to live here.

Do you go to the games?

Yeah. For ASB I interned in King Hall over the summer. (That’s one of the things we do). And I went to—last spring, summer, and fall—like ten Dodger games. They’re actually pretty cheap. I love going to them.

Is there anything big that’s on your mind, coming back in to the rest of the semester?

I don’t know what it was about spring break, but I’m starting to feel nostalgic about everything. The final stretch—just looking back at old things.

When did you get involved with Student Life?

My second year. I remember when I was a sophomore, and I applied for ASB, I didn’t really know what ASB was. I applied because some of the older guys on my wing told me to. I was on the Fall Thing Committee.

After doing Fall Thing, I was like, “This is really fun. I really enjoy this.” I was like, “Maybe someday I’ll be on Exec,” which is like President, Vice President—all the upper positions, the positions that are paid. I was like, maybe I’ll be Athletic Liaison, but I don’t think I could ever be president. I thought that as a sophomore. But I started to realize that the path to ASB president—the position takes someone who has been on ASB before who has experience. So I was like, maybe I could run for president. Just because there was a need that I saw.

Were there ever moments where you were like, “What have I gotten myself into?”

Yeah, I think you always kind of think that way. I think it’s when you think of the title of ASB president, it sounds so big, you know? So if you step back and look at it from that perspective, it’s like, “I wasn’t even on student council in high school. How am I ever gonna be president of my university?” But also, when you look at it from the perspective of what I have to do on a day to day basis, with planning events and leading ASB, it’s a lot less scary than you would think.

Are there moments where it’s like, “Yes. This is why I do it.”?

Some of my favorite moments on ASB have been… We spend a lot of time before Disney Week decorating the Caf. Three weeks before Disney Week starts, we meet on Saturdays and make decorations on North Campus. It’s a lot of hours, it’s a lot of work, but it’s also a lot of fun! But that first day, when we decorate the caf… I remember sitting when people walk in, seeing their eyes light up and look around. It’s a great feeling.

After almost two semesters as student body president, would you say that your perspective has changes when you look around campus?

I think I just appreciate the people. And looking back, I have different memories, but what’s made it special is getting to know different people and making different friendships and having good laughs and encouraging one another. So I think as ASB president, I look around and see other people interacting, I think it’s worth it to go through. Because these memories—I hope they never leave any of us.

For anyone who would be considering running for this upcoming school year, do you have any advice to share?

Just be humble, you know? I think when you dwell on the title of ASB president, and you have people coming up to you talking to you about it, it’s easy for it to go to your head. [But] almost all the stuff that’s happened on ASB this year—all the different events—have been the work of other people, you know? And so the job of ASB president is just to lead and to encourage those ASB-ers along. And when you realize that, I think it gives you the perspective of what you’re going into. That’s my core advice.

About the Writer
Bethany Reeves, Editor

I’m a junior English & Communications double major. I grew up in Roseville, California, where, in 2010, my best friend and I first created a school...

The Student News Site of The Master's University