The Mane

Master’s students discuss International Women’s Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Eickemeyer (left) and Burton (right) discuss International Women's Day in the Lower Cafeteria with their friend Mikayla Hidalgo (center)
Photo by Michael Brown

Eickemeyer (left) and Burton (right) discuss International Women's Day in the Lower Cafeteria with their friend Mikayla Hidalgo (center) Photo by Michael Brown

Michael Brown, News Editor

Students at The Master’s University, and people around the world are reacting to International Women’s Day.

Mathilda Burton, a senior communication major, appreciates the fact that the world recognizes women on this day.

“I think that the idea of Women’s Day is to embrace that women are strong,” said Burton. “There are so many women who are intelligent, who are educated, and who can bring really important things to the world. The fact that they are women should not disqualify them from any position, except what the Lord mandates in Scripture.”

However, some students do not feel the same way that Burton does about International Women’s Day.

“I’m not exactly pleased about it actually,” said Christabel Eickemeyer, a sophomore biblical counseling major. “I’m all for women not being abused and for equal rights and stuff like that, but I feel like in an effort to promote that, feminists have turned it on its head and started bullying men.”

Eickemeyer’s feelings have been felt in parts of society. Many men feel unfairly targeted by the modern feminist movement today. Several male students expressed this sentiment, but preferred to remain anonymous for fear of being labelled.

Burton sympathizes with these individuals, and believes that the two viewpoints can be reconciled.

“One thing that I want people to understand is that chivalry, or being gentlemanly, does not equal women being weak,” said Burton. “It equals the men trying to show women respect.”

Communities across the globe are discussing these issues and acknowledging International Women’s Day in their own ways.

A McDonald’s restaurant outside of Los Angeles flipped their golden arches, turning their iconic “M” into a “W.” Mattel unveiled new Barbie dolls of iconic women, including Amelia Earhart and Frida Kahlo. And in Europe, strikes are occuring in several countries, the most prominent of which is Spain, where reports of violence against women are on the rise and the gender pay gap is 19% in the private sector, according to a study financed by the European Commission.

In a demographic report released by collegefactual.com, more than one-third of the faculty at The Master’s University are women, and roughly half of the student population at TMU is made up of women.

“There’s a lot of strong women professors and leadership at this school, and I think that that’s really cool,” Burton said.

The Student News Site of The Master's University