Watch out: The fun has begun

October 27, 2017

On Monday nights students are usually in night class or busy at work in the library but on this Monday night students gathered, packed the gym, and threw rubber balls at each other to let off the steam of mid-terms.

It was the opening night of intramural dodgeball; TMU’s newest intramural sport.

From basketball to soccer to football, intramurals has been a staple at The Master’s University. But senior dorm representative Nathan Parsons always knew dodgeball would fit right into the intramural landscape.

“At my high-school I had the opportunity to start a dodgeball league and saw it succeed and knew the same thing could happen here.” Parsons said.

Parsons took initiative and organized the logistics that the league presented. Which includes everything from organizing signups to orchestrating the Monday nights when all the games take place.

“It didn’t feel like work as much as it was an opportunity to create something students would really enjoy.” Parsons said.

From the moment dodgeball was announced in chapel a buzz could be heard around campus.

“The moment the league was announced I got a group of friends together to make a team.” said senior Ian Saulog

Intramural dodgeball reached record signups with the final count reaching 135 students. That includes six male teams and three female teams. In comparison the football league this year received 72 sign-ups and the volleyball league came in with 86 signups.

The teams are made up of dorms, groups of friends, and even sports teams got in on the fun. The basketball, soccer, and volleyball teams were all able to make teams of their own.

“Usually being athletes prevents us from competing in intramurals so to get the opportunity to play with my team is awesome.” said junior volleyball player Kayla Sims.

“I love being able to come and compete with my friends every Monday night.” said sophomore Josh Garber.

The league will continue to meet on Monday evenings until the end of November when playoffs will take place and a champion will be crowned by the end of the semester.

The Mane • Copyright 2018 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in