Fun Before Finals at the Christmas Blend

Back to Article
Back to Article

The gingerbread competition was a delicious hit

Jonathan Solomon

Jonathan Solomon

Jonathan Solomon

Camille Torrente, A&E Editor

On December 4, students gathered around the brightly lit tree in front of the MacArthur Center to drink cups of hot cocoa and listen to live music.

ASB hosts the Christmas Blend every year, and people take a break from studying to enjoy drinks, desserts, and their favorite Christmas tunes.

“It went really well,” said Rachel Zillesvach, an ASB member who helped set up the event. “It was so much better than I thought it was going to be.”

In one of the acts, senior Julie DeVore performed an original song titled “College Christmas.” In another, [idk their names] sang “Silent Night” in the style of several genres. And, ending the evening, David Douglas performed another set of Chinese yo-yo tricks.

“All the music acts were fantastic; top notch,” said Douglas, a sophomore biology major. “It was a little scary to go up there and follow that.”

Between the acts, volunteers came up to play Christmas themed games. In one game, players took turns stuffing marshmallows in their mouths and saying “Merry Christmas.”

“What was your strategy?” Mauricio Farrell, ASB president asked. Nathan Choi, the winner, let out a marshmallow-muffled response.

Another game had participants make candy canes sharp enough to pop balloons. The audience stood in shock as Murilo Queiroz, a sophomore, bit his candy cane and popped three balloons in less than a minute.

“I wanted to bite it,” Queiroz said when asked about his strategy. “What I can say now is you ‘cane’ do anything that you set your mind to!”

As the night closed, students grabbed the last bits of dessert and mingled under the light of the Christmas tree.

“It’s a good way to let off steam, listen to good music, and eat a lot of good food,” Douglas said. “See those cookies over there? I’ve got my eye on a few more of those.”