Lucy Rodriquez' "HE>i" tattoo

Anna Copley

Tattooed TMU students talk about tattoo taboo

April 10, 2019

Many students here on campus have creative sides and have different ways of showing them. Some students sing, others draw, and some act. One unique way that students show their creative side is through tattoos.

When students are off-contract, such as during the summer or winter break, students can go and get a tattoo. They usually get something that’s special to them, due to the permanent nature of the tattoo.

Different students have different stories that go along with each tattoo.

Some involve growth. Others include learning a valuable lesson that they want to remember.

Kelsey Trainor is a senior majoring in biblical counseling, and she has a tattoo on her right inner right wrist that reads “Fear not…”.

Eight years ago, Trainor’s mother had become sick. At the same time, Trainor began to grow closer to the Lord.

“‘Fear not…’ reminds me to always remember that time, because it was a really important time that the Lord was using in my life,” Trainor said. “He gave me trust and peace the whole way and showed me I had nothing to fear even though I felt like my world was crashing down.”

Trainor said she would probably not get another tattoo soon because she believes that they should mean something special.

“It’s a way you don’t really need to talk to a person first for them to really see something about you,” said Emily Mullin, a sophomore majoring in marketing media currently at IBEX.

Mullin got her first tattoo last May on her left wrist of five sparrows flying.

“It was a bunch of different things,” Mullin said. “It was me realizing that I was free to make my own decisions and also free to be whoever God wanted me to be after growing up feeling like I had to be put in a box.”

The specific passage according to Mullins that goes along with her tattoo is Matthew 10:26-33.

“I wanted something that could be a conversation starter,” Mullin said.

Anna Copley

Lucy Rodriguez is a sophomore majoring in history for teacher education who has five tattoos. She has two Harry Potter tattoos, one that reads “He is greater than I”, an animal rights tattoo, and a “radiate positivity” tattoo.

The “He is greater than I” tattoo was the first tattoo that Rodriguez got. She got it when she had first turned 18 and really began to grow in her faith.

“When I had gone to college in San Francisco, I was kinda lost for a little bit,” Rodriguez said. “I was 17, and I was always on the younger side, and when I came home from that I decided to get the tattoo because God had pulled me out of that situation. And that’s why I got ‘He is greater than I.’”

Rodriguez plans to get a type 1 diabetic tattoo, because she has type 1 diabetes and wants to show her support for others who are also struggling with it.

While some TMU students enjoy and have tattoos, others are not as keen on them.

“I don’t really like tattoos,” said Chatham Van Wingerden a freshman majoring in marketing media and biblical counseling.

“Our bodies are our holy temples. We should respect them and should not mark them up for our own enjoyment.”

Sergio Arechiga, the RD of Waldock, got a tattoo over Christmas break that goes all around his right arm with two big red flowers that are dahlias, the national flower of Mexico. There is a big purple flower next to the red ones representing the national flower of Costa Rica. Arechiga also has a guitar that goes across his forearm.

Arechiga wanted to get this tattoo because he and his brother had grown up with tattoos and were both interested in Polynesian tattoos.

“We learned that every mark means something,” Arechiga said. “There was not a bit of the ink that doesn’t mean something.”

The Mane • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in