The Mane

Dixon’s Coffee-less Cofeehouse

Camille Torrente, A&E Editor

A coffeehouse event without coffee may seem counter-intuitive, but it didn’t stop students from crowding into Dixon’s upper lounge on Thursday night to watch performers display their talents.

While other dorms have held similar events, this was a first for the women at Dixon.

“A lot of people came, more than we expected, so it was awesome,” Emma Pence, a Resident Assistant (RA) in Dixon said.

The lounge was dimmed and decorated with string lights, and the chairs and couches facing the makeshift stage were full of students. Others stood in the back of the room eating cheese and crackers that had been set out by the RAs.

“I like the vibe. They decorated it really beautifully,” said Hannah Reis, a resident at Dixon. “A lot of work went into it, and I think they did a beautiful job. I love listening to all the performers.”

There were 10 acts throughout the night. Women sang, played instruments and even lip synced to different tracks. Hungary Kazar, a sophomore resident of Dixon, lip synced a song from Veggie Tales with Rebecca Laird, another Dixon resident.

Adriana Raygoza

“I wanted to do something funny for the people. I like to make people laugh,” Kazar said. “Making people happy is my goal.”

Katie Seitz, a freshman, lip synced a song from the musical Wicked.

“I loved it,” Seitz said. “There’s so much musical talent in Dixon. How did I not know about this?”

The last act of the night was sung by junior Annalee Johnson, who chose a piece from “The Phantom of the Opera”.

“Everyone did a good job,” Johnson said. “It’s really fun to see how everybody uses their talents that God’s given them and brings it together to glorify him.”

Students stuck around after the performances finished, chatting and congratulating one another.

“I think it’s going to continue to bring the dorm together this next week as we say ‘Hey, that was awesome!’” said Julie DeVore, one of the RAs at Dixon.

At the end of the night, the Dixon RAs cleaned up what they had spent hours setting up.

“All this talent is very cool,” Reis said. “I think we should do it every year.”

The Student News Site of The Master's University
Dixon’s Coffee-less Cofeehouse