The Mane

A Proper Perspective

Taken at The Master's University

Taken at The Master's University

Photo courtesy of Abigail Pywtorak

Photo courtesy of Abigail Pywtorak

Taken at The Master's University

Abigail Pywtorak, Writer

As students at The Master’s University we are all familiar with the dreaded phrase: syllabus shock. The beginning of a semester at TMU is always full of excitement and anxiety. We are all confronted with the workload of an entire semester in just a few days. During this hectic week, I also find myself overwhelmed with all the assignments I have to complete. Like you, I wonder how I will get it all done. Each semester I struggle with maintaining the right perspective.

In 2 Corinthians 4:18, Paul talks about what our perspective should be.“So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.” Of course, Paul does not mean we should try to use our physical eyes to look for what is invisible. Rather, Paul is commanding believers to fix their spiritual eyes on what they cannot yet see, but know to be a reality.

So, what unseen truths are there that offer hope for us as students at TMU? There are two that stand out in my mind. The first is the reality of God’s presence in our lives if we truly belong to Him. Many times in Scripture, God promises to be with us and never abandon us. That means that God is with you whether you are in class, studying at the Trough, or at the movie theater with a group of friends. Although we can’t see God with our physical eyes, He is there nonetheless.

David proclaims in Psalm 139:3 “You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.” David even acknowledged that God knew his thoughts before he spoke them. Undoubtedly this demonstrates that God cares about the tiniest details of our lives.

Another unseen reality that can help us as Christians to maintain the right perspective is the reality of Heaven. As you hurry from one class to the next remember eternity. This life is just a drop in time while eternity with Jesus is forever. Don’t lose sight of that as you sit in class or chat with your friends. Soon the pain and grief of this sin-cursed world will fade away in the brilliance of our everlasting home.

Since we know that the Lord is with us and we have eternity with Him to look forward to, how should that affect us today? I believe these truths should cause us to be thankful. Unlike so many people in the world today we have God’s presence dwelling in us and the hope of eventually meeting our Lord face to face. It just doesn’t get any better than this. We should be so incredibly thankful to God!

The Student News Site of The Master's University
A Proper Perspective